Comparisons between Medieval Japanese & European
Arose almost at the same time.
Both Japan & Europe were divided
up into feudal states.
Similarities about castles in Japan ans Europe
- They had large and tall walls for protection
- They often had moats around them to discourage the digging of tunnels
- They had narrow and steep stairways to make assault difficult
- They had portholes for guns and for arrows
- They often had a main gate area that could be used as a trap
- They almost always had concentric rings of walls to give them multiple
layers of protection
- They capitalized on terrain features - often the best placement was at the
top of a hill or small mountain. This gave a very advantageous position and
Europe had changed from the fuedal age to the dark age and on to the middle ages with the advances in technology and what they considered being civilized.
The europeans tended to throw out tradition in favour of whats
Japan had a fuedal age but didnt go much futher than that on its own.
Japan was very centered around tradition and culture.